Fun Organic Mini Corn Dogs
Here a versatile recipe that can be customized for your little ones or the grown ups. If making these for younger children you can leave out the jalapeno and cayenne peppers.
You can also substitute the smokey cocktail franks for your favorite brand of hot dogs.
Leave out peppers if making this for the younger ones. Also if you’re making a big batch you can easily freeze some for later. You can also cut recipe down for your needs. Enjoy!
- 2 packages Applegate Greatest Little Organic Smokey Pork Cocktail Franks
- 1 quart organic peanut oil
- 1 cup organic yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose organic flour
- 2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoon (approximately 1 large) organic jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely minced
- 1 (8.5 oz) can cream-style organic corn
- ⅓ cup finely grated organic onion
- 1½ cups organic buttermilk
- About 50 bamboo skewers (soaked)
- Add peanut oil in a medium size sauce pan. Oil should be about 2 inches deep.
- Mix together cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cayenne pepper; set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, mix together jalapeno, corn, onion and buttermilk.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix slightly. Just enough to combine batter and there will be lumps; set aside. Let batter sit for about 10 minutes.
- Place hot dog on skewer and dip in batter. Then place in hot oil and cook until golden brown.
- Place on paper towels or cooling rack to drain.